The Hopi Indians of northern Arizona have traditions that recall a time when their «Snake Brothers» built and occupied underground cities in Arizona, California, Mexico and Central America.
Once such underworld city is believed to have been built on the west coast, near the Pacific ocean, under Los Angeles, California.
Strangely enough, one engineer’s search for LA’s mythological underground city gained enough credibility to have his efforts presented as front page news in the Los Angeles Times newspaper, January 29th, 1934.
Top, dead center of the front page is an artistic rendition of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Below the image is an article titled,
«Lizard People’s Catacomb City Hunted: Engineer Sinks Shaft Under Fort Moore Hill to Find Maze of Tunnels and Priceless Treasures of Legendary Inhabitants.»
«Lizard People’s Catacomb City Hunted
Engineer Sinks Shaft Under Fort Moore Hill to Find Maze of Tunnels
and Priceless Treasures of Legendary Inhabitants
by Jean Bosquet
January 29, 1934
Busy Los Angeles, although little realizing it in the hustle and bustle of modern existence, stands above a lost city of catacombs filled with incalculable treasure and imperishable records of a race of humans further advanced intellectually than the highest type of present day peoples, in the belief of G. Warren Shufelt, geophysicist mining engineer now engaged in an attempt to wrest from the lost city deep in the earth below Fort Moore Hill the secrets of the Lizard People of legendary fame in the medicine lodges of the American Indian.
So firmly does Shufelt and a little staff of assistants believe that a maze of catacombs and priceless golden tablets are to be found beneath downtown Los Angeles that the engineer and his aids have already driven a shaft 250 feet into the ground, the mouth of the shaft being on the old Banning property on North Hill street, overlooking Sunset Boulevard, Spring street and North Broadway.
And so convinced is the engineer of the infallibility of a radio x-ray perfected by him for detecting the presence of minerals and tunnels below the surface of the ground, an apparatus with which he says he has traced a pattern of catacombs and vaults forming the lost city, that he plans to continue sending his shaft downward until he has reached a depth of 1000 feet before discontinuing operations.
LEGEND SUPPLIES CLEW
Then Shufelt was taken to Little Chief Greenleaf of the medicine lodge of the Hopi Indians in Arizona, who’s English name is L. Macklin.
The Indian provided the engineer with a legend which, according to both men, dovetails exactly with what Shufelt say he has found.
FIRE DESTROYS ALL
This legendary catastrophe was in the form of a huge tongue of fire, which,
The city underground was dug as a means of escaping future fires.
The lost city, dug with powerful chemicals by the Lizard People instead of pick and shovel, was drained into the ocean, where it’s tunnels began, according to the legend.
The tide passing daily in and out of the lower tunnel portals and forcing air into the upper tunnels, providing ventilation and «cleansed and sanitized the lower tunnels,» the legend states.
Large rooms in the domes of the hills above the city of labyrinths housed 1000 families «in the manner of tall buildings» and imperishable food supplies of the herb variety were stored in the catacombs to provide sustenance for the Lizard folk for great length of time as the next fire swept over the earth.
Their city is laid out like a lizard, according to the legend, it’s tail to the Southwest, far below Fifth and Hope streets, it’s head to the northeast, at Lookout and Marda streets.
The city’s key room is situated directly under South Broadway, near Second street, according to Shufelt and the legend.
This key room is the directory to all the parts of the city and to all record tablets, the legend states.
All records were to be kept on golden tablets, four feet long and fourteen inches wide.
One these tablets of gold, gold having been the symbol of life to the legendary Lizard People, will be found the record of history of the Mayans and on one particular tablet, the southwest corner of which will be missing, is found the «record of the origin of the human race.»
The Lizard People, according to Macklin, were of a much higher type of intellectuality than modern human beings. The intellectual accomplishments of their 9-year-old children were of equal of those of present day college graduates, he said.
So greatly advanced scientifically were these people that, in addition to perfecting a chemical solution by which they bored underground without removing any earth and rock, they also developed a cement far stronger and better than any in use in modern times which they lined their tunnels and rooms.
|Ancient underground cult
blamed for terrible head bust in The Times!
|Engineer’s radio X-rays
reveal massive gold tablets beneath busy metropolis!
According to the legend and the radio surveys, the underground city was laid out in the shape of a lizard, with its tail under the Main Library at Fifth and Hope.
In the summer and fall of 1933, a Los Angeles mining engineer named G. Warren Shufelt was surveying the L.A. area for deposits of oil, gold and other valuable materials, using a new device which he had invented. Shufelt had designed and built a radio-directed apparatus which he claimed was able to locate gold and other precious resources at great depths.
He believed that the radio device worked on a newly discovered principle involving electrical similarities of matter which had the same chemical, physical and vibrational character.
His device appeared to consist of a large pendulum suspended in a cylindrical glass case which was housed in a black box with compasses on it.
The pendulum would trace a line directly from a piece of ore broken from a vein to the vein it was originally taken from. Hair taken from a test subject would lead investigators to the person who had donated the hair sample. It was said to have worked even at a distance of many miles.
Although he would not tell exactly what was in the box, Shufelt believed that by tuning into the individual frequency of a particular material, he could locate similar matter. He believed that the emanations and gravitational factors of matter influenced the pendulum and that, in principle, no two separate things were exactly alike.
Shufelt was extremely puzzled when one day, while taking readings near downtown Los Angeles, his instruments showed him what seemed to be a pattern of tunnels which led from what is now the Public Library in the heart of L.A. to the top of Mount Washington and the Southwest Museum to the north in Pasadena.
He proceeded to draw a map and had it copyrighted. What he discovered appeared to be a well planned underground labyrinth with large rooms located at various points, and deposits of apparently man made gold in the chambers and passage ways.
Some of the tunnels ran west for 20 miles under the Santa Monica Bay, which he believed were only used for ventilation.
Unfortunately, Shufelt had no idea that they were connected to the older ruins of an even greater city which was covered by the Pacific Ocean thousands of years ago during a tremendous earthquake and subsequent flood.
The subterranean complex he had discovered was used for emergencies and was only designed to accommodate 5,000 people or less. Food supplies of imperishable herbs were stored in sufficient quantities which would enable the survivors to live underground until it was safe to come back to the surface. Valuable personal belongings and utensils were also brought into the complex along with historical records and gold treasures.
During his research, he met a Hopi Indian named Chief Little Green Leaf, who told him about the legend of an ancient race of «Lizard People«.
The legends said that about 4,000 to 5,000 years ago, an enormous meteor shower fell on the western coast covering an area hundreds of miles wide. Winslow crater in northern Arizona is only one of the pieces that fell from the sky at that time.
Thousands of people were killed, their crops wiped out, dwellings destroyed, and the forests set on fire.
The surviving members of the medicine lodge, which had remained on the west coast, met to make plans for constructing safe areas. The sentinels of the sky gave their warning that it was time to enter the shelters and seal the shafts behind themselves. They were forced to go underground to save them selves from a gigantic meteor shower which devastated most of the west coast of the US.
The «Lizard People» of Los Angeles survived the meteor shower, but were killed by natural gas leaking into their bunkers. Shufelt believed that they had built 13 such underground facilities in different areas for such a purpose. One was located in the eastern section of Arizona in a small town called Springerville and was only discovered recently.
Another was located under a hill which was surrounded by a curving ridge of mountains like the middle of a horse’s hoof. This is exactly the type of terrain seen in downtown L.A. in the area that is now the Board of Education, which is built over the ruins of the old Willis Estate on top of Fort Moore hill. Shufelt and his partner Chief Little Green Leaf were both convinced that the ancient legends and the readings from Shufelt’s mystery machine were true.
They decided to obtain a permit to sink a shaft down into the ruins of the subterranean city. They located a vacant lot at 518 North Hill Street, directly above one of the largest rooms. On 21st February 1933, the County Board of Supervisors approved a contract with Rex McCreary, Warren Shufelt and Ray Martin to search for buried treasure there.
The permittees were to bear all expenses, to leave the property in its original condition, and to share 50% of all discoveries and treasure with the city of L.A.
The county originally only allowed them to dig up to depths of 50 feet for fear of cave-ins. On 27th March 1933 they requested additional time and depths on their permit, believing that the labyrinth of tunnels was at least 1,900 feet in length, with rooms containing 9,000 square feet which contained valuable gold treasure in at least 16 places.
On 10th April 1933 the contract was renewed. By the end of November in 1933, the main shaft was at a depth of 200 feet. Shufelt was determined to drill to a depth of 1,000 feet if necessary. On 29th January 1934, the first stories regarding the legend of the «Lost Land of the Lizard People» made the L.A. newspapers. By this time, one of the five shafts was already 250 feet deep.
According to the legend and the radio surveys, the underground city was laid out in the shape of a lizard, with its tail under the Main Library at Fifth and Hope, and the body extending Northeast, with the head being at Lookout and Marda near North Broadway. The key room to the city was located under Second and South Broadway.
The legends state that the key room is the directory to the rest of the city, and to the historical gold record tablets. These gold tablets were slabs of gold, 4 feet long and 14 inches wide.
The tablets were believed to contain the records of the origins of the human race, and the history of modern man in the Americas, including details regarding the history of the mysterious Mayan people. Shufelt’s radio-wave machine mapped the rooms and tunnels as subsurface voids, with the gold slabs as dark areas, showing perfect geometric angles.
The rooms, seven of which occurred within an area of six square city blocks, varied in size from 23′ x 23′ to 34′ x 42′. The room below the first shaft was 31′ x 42′, and the key room was the smallest. Water had seeped into some of the tunnels, and several of the rooms including the largest were flooded. Shufelt was prepared to use divers to explore the submerged areas when they finally broke into the subterranean city.
Chief Little Green Leaf claimed that the «Lizard People» had been able to predict earthquakes and that he had also been able to do so.
He had accurately predicted the destruction of the Long Beach quake on 10th March 1933, a month in advance. He believed that it was easy for anyone to tell 96 hours in advance when an earthquake was coming, because the needle on a compass would become demagnetized and refuse to point north. By the beginning of February 1934, the first shaft had reached a depth greater than 250 feet and was still being dug, despite difficulty caused by the water encountered in its path.
Several newspaper articles featured updates on the project. Shortly after all the media attention was focused on this search for the lost city under L.A., the project was suddenly stopped and abandoned.
On 5th March 1934, the shafts had been filled in and the contract with the city was canceled. Neither gold nor any other treasure was ever turned over to the County of Los Angeles.
Mr. Arche Dunning of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce stated in December of 1947 that,
«It is quite possible, of course, that the supposed labyrinth really exists. But in view of the fact that the overlaying area is the immediate Civic Center area where an important building program is to be carried out, including federal, state, county and city building, there is little probability of any further excavations.»
This is really not a true statement because it is necessary to excavate many hundreds of feet into the ground before a high-rise building can be constructed.
Also, one should consider that sewage systems are all underground. And let’s not forget the new Metro Rail System, which rises up from many feet below the Civic Center before it speeds commuters on their way.
Long ago even the Chinese dug tunnels around the area which is now the train yard.
These red brick subsurface tunnels were used for their safe passage, from one end of Old Chinatown to the other and are now an historic landmark found preserved at Alvera Street. It is quite possible that there is another city below the L.A. Civic Center which only a small number of people have access to.
The question is, who?
LIZARD PEOPLE UPDATE
Here is a reptilian relic that was found in Los Angeles in 1954 that neatly fits into the «Lost Land of the Lizard People» article [see NEXUS 2/19]. Enclosed is a photo of an artifact that is definitely very old, depicting a full-bodied dragon.
The upper section of the medallion is made of pure silver that was somehow fused to a copper-alloy base which is composed of over 40 different types of metal. The medallion’s actual dimensions are 7/8″ (width) x 1/4″ (length) x 1/l6″ (depth).
The man who found it, Mr. G., was an aerospace engineer who lived and worked for the US Government in Chatsworth, California.
The artifact was found while Mr. G. was helping a friend, who lived on the northern shore of Chatsworth Reservoir, repair the wooden stairway to the front porch. Mr. G. dropped his hammer, which fell into a soft sandy area, and when he reached to pull his hammer out he noticed this small metal medallion.
Mr. G. still has the artifact in his possession, and after much research feels that it belonged to an ancient race of space people named ALTEC, who left behind their influence on this world long ago. The Friendly or Sleeping Dragon is a very old symbol, one which has definite connections to UFO’s.
I once had the opportunity to show a picture of a Pleiadian-style UFO to a man from Bhutan (near Tibet) and asked if he had ever seen such a thing. He replied that yes, they did see them often and that they were called «Friendly Dragon».
Chatsworth is located in Los Angeles County near the northwest border of the city and county lines. It is likely that a Chinese laborer lost this artifact while working in Chatsworth on railroad construction, around the turn of the century.
There is a railroad tunnel that was cut by the Chinese through a solid red rock ridge called the Santa Suzana Pass near the Chatsworth Lake. Old Chinatown is located in downtown Los Angeles and was built where the new rail-yard now sits.
New Chinatown is built over much of the old tunnel systems that the first Chinese leaders had constructed for their ‘safety’ when they first arrived in the area. It is possible that engineer/inventor G. W. Shufelt did not know what he had stumbled onto electronically, and it is also logical that Chinese people would not admit to the existence of a secure system of tunnels and rooms they had worked so hard to build in secret.
There may even have existed a series of older tunnels and rooms that the Chinese discovered during their own excavations and construction. However, the Federal Government definitely stepped in during the ’50s and took control of the entire underground tunnel system for their Cold War operations, adding many new paranoid-influenced improvements over the years that followed.
In the ‘9Os, two suspicious arson fires were started as a distraction while ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence) operatives gained access to the secret entrance that Shufelt located in the basement of what is now the main library. There is more to this story than can be told at this time.
Take care, and keep up the great work with NEXUS magazine.