See original Mantell Document. UFO



ALL WEATHER Flying Center

Clinton County Army Air Field

WILMINTON, OHIO 8 January 1948



(Document 1)


WILMINGTON, Ohio, Jan. 8– A sky phenomena, described by observers at the Clinton County air Base as having the appearance of a flaming red cone trailing a gaseous green mist, appeared in the southwest skies of Wilminton last night between 7:20 and 7:55 P.M.

S/Sgt. Gale F. Walter and Cpl. James Hudson, control tower operators at the air field, first saw the phenomena at 7:20 P.M. and observed its maneuvers in the sky until 7:55 P.M. when it reported disappeared over the horizon. The sky phenomena hung suspened in the air at intervals and then gained and lost altitude at what appeared to be terrific bursts of speed. The intense brightness of the sky phenomena pierced through a heavy layer of clouds passing intermittently over the area and obscuring other celestial phenomena.

MSgt. Irvin H. Lewis, S/Sgt John P. Haag, Sg. Harold E. Olvis and T/Sgt. Leroy Ziegler, four members of the alert crew, joined the control tower operators in observing the sky phenomena for approximately 35 minutes. XX *30* XX

Below is typed transcription of document.



13 JANUARY 1947

SUBJECT: Report on Unusual Circumstance

TO: CO 332nd FIGHTER WING LOCKBOURNE A B At approximately 1940 hrs Jan. 7th the Control Tower operator advised he observed an extremely strange bright light in the south west. However by the time I reached the operation steps at the entrance the light faded out. About two minutes later the Tower advised that the phenominon was visible again. This time I saw the object at about 15 degrees above the horizon to the west south west of Lockbourne. The object was extremely bright, more so than any star. I would say about as large as and as bright as one of the runway lights at full intensity as viewed from the Control Tower. It appeared to have a tapering tail about 6 diameters long and predominently was of a ruddy red color changing to A amber-yellow at different intervals.

The position of the object in the sky and the fact that we were reporting A high overcast at the time added to the mystery. UP until approximately 1950 hrs the object appeared to be motionless, at this time, however, it descended to the horizon in an interval of about 3 or 4 seconds, hovering there for 3 or 4 seconds and the ascended to its’ original position in an interval of about 3 seconds. It then rapidly began to fade and lower in the sky and disappeared at 1955 hrs.

AF9944 xmtd a postion report to me at 1953 hrs over Columbus at 5,000 ft on round robin flight out of Wright Field to Washington and return , and reported a mysterious bright light to the west south west of his position, appearing like an oversized beacon.

Further information on reports from other stations observing the phenominon can be obtained from flight services at Patterson.


Frank M. Eisle


*******, E.M.


Below is typed transcription of document.




14 JANUARY 1947

SUBJECT: Report of Unusual Circumstance

TO: Commanding Officer, 332nd Fighter Wing, Lockbourne Army Air Base, Columbus 17, Ohio.

On Wednesday January 7th between the hours of 1915 and 1939, there appeared in the sky a bright glowing object which I could not identify. At first I assumed it to be a star but the sky being overcast, I knew definitely that it was not a star nor an aircraft because the only air- craft flying in the local area was landing at the time. It was not an aircraft flare nor a balloon because it appeared to be enormous in size. I then observed it through the binoculars.

It appeared to be cone- shaped, blunt on top and tapering off toward the bottom. I could not distinguish the attitude in which the object appeared to be. It was glowd from a bright white to an amber color with a small streak trail- ing. It was at a distance between 5 and 7 miles from the control tower at an altitutde of approximately 2000 to 3000 feet bobing up and down and moving in a south-southwesterly direction at a speed exceeding 500 miles per hour.

Also the wind at the time was blowing from east to west and if it had been a balloon or lighter-than-aircraft it would have drifted in the direction the wind was blowing. There was no sound or unusual noise. Its performance was very unusual and the light emitting from it seemed to fade out at times. Just before it disappeared beyond the horizon the light changed to a sort of red color. The same object was later sighted in the vicinity of Clinton County Air Field by operators on duty in the control tower.

I have been actually engaged in aviation as an Air Traffic Control Tower Operator and a Private Pilot for a period of 5 years and thus far in all my experience, I have never encountered an optical illusion or any physical defect that would disqualify my possessions of such ratings.






14 JANUARY 1948

SUBJECT: Report oF Unusual Circumstance

TO : Commanding Officer

332nd Fighter Wing

Lockbourne Army Air Base

Columbus 17, Ohio.

On Wednesday January 7, 1948 at about 1925 Eastern time I observed in the sky an object which I could not identify. It appeared to hover in one position for quite some time, moving very little. It disappeared once for about one minute and I assumed it entered the overcast, which was at about 10,000 feet. After descending again below the overcast it circled one place for the duration of three 360 degree turns, then moved to another position to circle some more. Turns required approximately 30 to 40 sec- onds each, diameter estimated about two miles.

In moving from one place to another a tail was visible of approximately five times the length of the object. Not knowing how close or how far the object was from me at the time, I could not estimate the size very accur- ately, but it appeared as large or larger than one of our C 47 planes, and of a different shape. Either round or oval shaped. Just before leaving it came to very near the ground, staying down for about ten seconds, then climbed at a very fast rate back to its original altitude, 10,000 feet, leveling off and disappearing into the overcast heading 120 degrees. Its speed was greater than 500 mph in level flight.

It was visible to me for a per- iod of twenty minutes. No noise or sound could be detected. The color was amber light but not sufficiently bright to cover or obscure the out- line of the configuration was was approximately round. During up and down movement no maneuvering took place. Motions was same as an elevator, climbing and descending vertically. Exhaust trail was noticeable only dur- ing forward speed. It appeared as a thin mist approximately same color (amber) as the object. Length about 5 times length of object.

Dring descent it appeared to touch the gound or was very close to touching it. It was approximately 3 to 5 miles away from Lockbourne Air Base in immediate vicinity of COMMERICAL POINT. It positively was not a star, comet or any astronomical body to the best of my knowledge of such thing. I also rule out the possibility of it being a balloon, flare, dirgible, military or private aircraft. Ltr, Subj: Report of Unusual Circumstance, 14 Jan 48 (Cont’d) I am 26 years old and in good health and have excellent vision. I have been actively engaged in aviation 6 years. I have a private pilot license and spent 3 years 10 months in the U. S. Army Air Corps as a Sergeant link trainer instructor, instrument flight observer. The statements made herin are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge and may be used for any official purpose as deemed necessary.



VHF/DF Operator




JAN 14, 1947

Request for Report on Crashed P-51 National Guard Aircraft

Commanding Officer

315th AAFBU (Reserve Training)

Godman Field, Kentucky

1. It has been brought to the attention of this office that an official report has been made regarding the National Guard P-51 air- craft that crashed as a result of chasing an unidentified object on 7 January 1948. Information contained in this report may contribute greatly in the accomplishment of intelligence investigations of un- identified flying objects, or so-called “flying discs”.

2. It is requested, therefore, that a copy of this report be made available to this Command as soon as possible.


Colonel, USAF

Chief of Intelligence


(State of Ohio)


Before me, the undersigned Authority for administering oaths of this kind, personally appeared one James H. Hudson, Cpl, ASN 13220873 who, being first duly sworn by me, desposes and says;

The following information came over Plan 62: This observation was made in Kentucky at the scene of the P-51 crash with an 8″ telescope:

1. Height, 4 miles.

2. Width, 43 feet.

3. Height of object, 100 feet.

4. Speed at time, 10 mph

5. Shape, Cone.

6. Color, red with green tail.

This observation was taken at Godman Field, Kentucky, with a theolite:

1854 CST.

Elevation, 2.4 Azimuth 254.6

1856 CST

Elevation, 2.0 Azimuth 253.9

1902 CST

Elevation, 1.2 Azimuth 253.0

1906 CST


The following is my opinion:

The object is not a comet or star, but was man made. It was not a baloon, comet, star, aircraft of known type. The light did not come from an aircraft’s running lights. The whole object appeared to be surrounded with a burning gas or something that gave a light.

Further the deponent sayeth not,




Sworn to and subscribed before me this 20th day of January , 1948



Captain, USAF

Before me, the undersigned authority for administering oaths of this kind, personally appeared one John P. Haag,

S/Sgt, AF 17003481

who,being first duly sworn by me, desposes and says:

The unidentified flying object was sighted in a South-West position at Clinton County Army Air Base at a heading of approximately 210 degrees on 7 January 1948, first being visible to this person at 19:35 o’clock when it was pointed out to me. The weather at the time was clear over the base, with a South-West wind which was moderate.

There seemed to be an overcast in the South-West which was a layer approximately 1000 feet thick. The height of this overcast was approximately 5000 feet. The one and only object which was seen with the naked eye seemed to be about five miles from the field at an estimated altitude of 15,000 to 20,000 feet.

The object seemed to remain stationary as first seen, with a light which resembled a complete wing of an airplane on fire. There was no beam of light projected. Then, for a period of five minutes I just took occasional glances at it as I went up the the Control Tower and observed the object through field glasses, which I then decided was not a comet or falling star, to my knowledge of astronomy. With the aid of field glasses, the object appeared to go from an altitude of 15,000 feet to 10,000 feet without any noticed forward or backward motion and then back up to its original altitude very rapidly, about three or four times. It seemed that when the object moved, a red light would dominate and change to a green light and then back to it’s original color.

It then began moving at a heading of 210 degrees and went behind the overcast and the light was seen through the overcast. The object moved very fast away; it stopped momentarily for three or four minutes and disappeared over the horizon at 15:55. No sound was heard from this object or no photographs taken.

Further the deponent sayeth not,



AF 17003481

Sworn to and subscribed before me this 21 day of January , 1948




You may also like...